Monday, January 11, 2010

Emack & Bolio's - ice cream for the connoisseur?

















Emack & Bolio's - "Ice Cream for the Connoisseur"
73 West Houston St.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Ordered: 1 ice cream cone, cake batter flavored ice cream mixed with chocolate swirls, regular sugar cone (not the one in the pic. that woulda been too much :) (~$4.50)
__________


OK, so I passed this place randomly while I was on my way to go shopping in SoHo. If you get off the 1 train at Houston St. and head east on Houston, you'll pass it (it's off Varick). The outside had this feel that made me think the ice cream was gonna be homemade (or vintage or something "Villagey" that you'd find down there), which is what caught my attention at first.

Walked in. Somewhat dimly lit with a nice music mix playing (some kind of indie rock - hadn't heard the band before). Right in front of me (and slightly to the left) there was a big glass case with, perhaps, the most gorgeous looking ice cream cones I've ever seen. (pic above) I mean, look at that thing! Yes.

The room holds about 15 people standing (and that would be sorta packed; also has 2 or 3 two-person tables). Unfortunately, I forgot what I ordered (it was some kind of cake batter thing with swirls of chocolate in it; will update if I ever go back). Presentation was pretty poor (ice cream was put on the cone pretty sloppily), but taste was better than that from most other ice cream spots in NY.

Flavor was nice, not too sweet, but sweet enough to know you're cheating on your diet. Texture was good (creamy, but not too smooth; I like ice cream that's a little bit chunkier with a frozen texture to it). Cone was a standard sugar cone, nothing special.

Finished my cone seated at a table inside the place in about 5 mins (it was too cold to walk to Levi's with the cone in hand).

All in all, I give this place 3.5 out of 5 apples and would say that calling it "ice cream for the connoisseur" is almost a stretch. Not spectacular, but worth stopping by if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

*Note: This is the first ice cream place in SoHo that I've tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment