Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Little Owl ... is a wise choice



















The Little Owl
90 Bedford St. at Grove St.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Ordered (over several trips): meatball sliders (~$10), lobster bisque (~$10), Alaskan halibut (~$27), Maine blueberry cobbler topped with mascarpone gelato ($9), raspberry-stuffed beignets served with dipping nutella ($9), pear crisp topped with mascarpone gelato ($9), cappucino ($4)
________


Little Owl is one of my favorite places to eat in NYC. It is, to me, the realization of what an urban oasis would be, tucked away in a quaint, out-of-step lower Manhattan neighborhood, the West Village, seemingly protected by the surrounding buildings from the busyness of city life.

Located on the corner of a quintessential West Village block, this casually romantic hideaway seats 25 people, not counting the 4 that could fit snugly at the bar. Dress code is casual, although you could go in a jacket and jeans, guys, if you're on a date. (I wouldn't go in a suit. It's not that kind of place.) I mean, the maitre d' wears jeans and a t-shirt, albeit a stylish one, for goodness sake.

The seasonal menus at this hidden gem offer a choice mix of culinary treats, ranging from unique appetizers, like meatball sliders, to more traditional entrees, such as Alaskan halibut (I went for a full dinner in the summer and only for dessert in the winter). I got lobster bisque and the sliders to start and chose the halibut for my main dish. I wouldn't do the bisque again and the sliders are worth trying, but the halibut made up for the few insufficiencies in my appetizer line up, by far. Served over a delicate mix of seasoned veggies, the medium-sized fillet was smooth and buttery, not to mention prepared like a classic dish with a twist of sophistication. My friend got the cod and it was, dare I say, even better than the halibut. Seasoned with a tangy blend of spices, it too was served over veggies and cooked just right.

Now while the main dishes were good, the real selling point of Little Owl, in my opinion, are its desserts. Maine blueberry cobbler topped with mascarpone gelato and fresh raspberry-filled beignets served with dipping nutella are just two of the tasty tidbits you can get there. They also have a pear crisp (similar to the Maine cobbler) and chocolate cake (don't get it). Both the cobbler and the crisp are similarly prepared, warm fruit chunks buried in a cobbler under a crisp buttery top, which is amazing. The cappuccino was good, too, although I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur.

All in all, Little Owl is a good bet if you're looking for a unique NYC eating experience in a beautiful neighborhood. Oh, and don't forget to visit the bookstore up the block after dinner. It's one of my favs.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a cool little spot. The beignets with nutella look to die for, I'll definitely have to check it out next time I'm down there.

    ReplyDelete