Friday, April 9, 2010

Magnolia Bakery - Get ONLY the banana pudding


Magnolia Bakery
48th St. and 6th Ave.

Rating: Cakes - 2 out of 5, Cupcakes - 2 out of 5

Ordered: 1 piece of vanilla cake, Hummingbird cake, Red Velvet cake ($5 each), cupcakes ("Hummingbird" and "German Chocolate," $3.25 each), banana pudding (small, $4.50), steamed milk ($1.50)
_____________

Now, I hate Magnolia. For all the hype their cupcakes generate, I think they should be WAY better, nah mean? But, their banana pudding is crazy, which is why I moseyed on over there tonight in the first place.

Apparently they give out samples now, so I helped myself to a liberal portion of a 7-layer bar type of thing they had laying out, which was good enough to eat 5 small pieces worth. As I was standing there, I got distracted again from the banana pudding because I saw this white cake (that looked like funfetti) on top of the counter. I asked the girl standing there which one she preferred (there was a Red Velvet cake next to it) and she said she didn't like cake, so I asked her co-worker. She recommended the vanilla cake (which I was leaning toward), so I got it. Now, Magnolia's frosting isn't anything to write home about (which is part of my gripe with their cupcakes), but the cake was so moist and tasty that I just couldn't stop eating it. I feel like a pig in mud. What a way to end the evening (well, sort of).

(Note: added three weeks after the review above) Now, that was my first experience with their cake. My next three weren't nearly as good (their praised Red Velvet had the consistency of a dry sponge, as did the second slice of vanilla cake I tried from there). My original rating was a 4 of 5, but my last three experiences brought down the rating to a 2 of 5 (for their cakes and cupcakes. Their banana pudding is still crazy.)

Oh, and The Village Voice agrees: "Cake as dry as sawdust and frosting that's tooth-achingly sweet. And a line to get in." (see link below)

(http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/04/our_10_most_ove.php?page=2)

No comments:

Post a Comment