Friday, April 9, 2010

Pies-N-Thighs - food for the soul



Pies-N-Thighs
166 S. 4th St.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Ordered: Chicken-in-a-box ($10), Side of catfish (1 piece, $4), Banana Creme Pie ($4), Coconut Pie ($4)
_________

I was introduced to Pies 'n Thighs through my fellow food blogger, FattyStatus (check her out @ fattystatus.wordpress.com) and we both checked it out together yesterday. 'Twas good.

To start, Pies is located in a remote section of Williamsburg (well, the South Side, really) on S. 4th Street and Driggs Ave., which is within walking distance (on a nice day) from the "Bedford Ave." stop on the L train.

Both Fatty and I wanted to try what we assumed to be the staples there - fried chicken, mac & cheese, and collard greens - so we each ordered a chicken-in-a-box (which comes with 3 pieces of chicken, selections vary, 1 side and 1 biscuit) and each ordered on of the sides. When I first bit into it, I couldn't tell whether the chicken tasted like KFC or if it was just my imagination. It was my imagination. This is, perhaps, the best restaurant-made fried chicken I've had in NY yet. The skin is crispy, the meat is juicy, and the sprinkling of salt on the pieces leaves you wanting more. The collard greens were just right (cooked with pieces of meat and not too pungent) and the mac & cheese was sorta gritty, like it had been baked, if you know what I mean. The biscuits are good - not great - and not too dry. The catfish (not shown) was a bust. Avoid it.

Now, you can't have the thighs without the pies, right? We both wanted the Banana Creme pie (because it looked THAT good), so I let her get that and I got the Coconut pie. Both were good, but the Banana blew away the Coconut. The filling was very tasty (similar to Magnolia's banana pudding, for those familiar with it) and was just better all around. The one leg up the Coconut had, though, was its crust. Homemade and buttery, it was a good look.

This place is definitely worth stopping by on an off-night. Oh, and get there early. It's hummin' by 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment